- FORMER JETS GM MIKE TANNENBAUM REGRETS GIVING MARK SANCHEZ CONTRACT EXTENSION -
Last March the New York Jets offered quarterback Mark Sanchez contract extension, making his contract worth more than $58 million over five years.
Now less than a year later, the general manager that signed off on the deal, Mike Tannenbaum, is out of a job. And the Jets are left paying a big salary to a quarterback that had one of the worst seasons in the NFL last year.
Tannenbaum, who appeared on NFL AM Thursday, said that he now regrets signing Sanchez to that extension.
"I don’t think I would have signed a quarterback to an extension knowing that he’d have 26 turnovers," Tannenbaum said. "That might be one of the reasons I’m right now sitting here with you guys."
Still, Tannenbaum defended his decision by citing Sanchez’s road playoff victories over the likes of Tom Brady and Peyton Manning. Maybe 2012 was just a fluke?
"[Sanchez] was a young guy, football’s important to him, and we came up with a deal at the time that we thought was good for both sides," Tannenbaum said. "Obviously, he didn’t play as well this year, we didn’t coach as well this year, we didn’t get him as good players this year. But if we’re sitting here a year or two from now, I still think Mark’s going to be a good, credible quarterback in the NFL."
Sanchez finished the year with 2,883 yards, 13 touchdowns and 26 interceptions — good for a QB rating of 66.9, just ahead of Matt Cassel (66.7) for second-worst in the league. (Photo: US PRESSWIRE)
- jacobthenewyorkah reblogged this from kickoffcoverage and added:
- mtrmeow reblogged this from blacktinabelcher
- kilatta reblogged this from kickoffcoverage
- nldn40 reblogged this from kickoffcoverage
- whatinthephil reblogged this from kickoffcoverage
- blacktinabelcher reblogged this from kickoffcoverage
- haveagreatrip reblogged this from kickoffcoverage
- fagatron90000penisface reblogged this from kickoffcoverage
- kickoffcoverage posted this