49ERS HEAD COACH JIM HARBAUGH TAKES SHOT AT PACKERS LB CLAY MATTHEWS - Jim Harbaugh offered a parting shot at Packers linebacker Clay Matthews: Slapping is not the tough-guy way.
Harbaugh said Monday that Matthews threw one punch and slapped 49ers left tackle Joe Staley when they tussled following Matthews’ late hit on quarterback Colin Kaepernick in the second quarter of San Francisco’s 34-28 season-opening win against Green Bay on Sunday.
"If you’re going to go to the face, come with some knuckles, not an open slap," Harbaugh said. "I think if that young man works very hard on being a tough guy, he’ll have some repairing to do to his image after the slap."
Matthews promised leading up to the game that Green Bay would target Kaepernick after he ran for a quarterback-record 181 yards to beat the Packers in the playoffs eight months ago, and Matthews did just that. On the play, he threw his right arm around the lower part of Kaepernick’s neck.
"Like I said last week, usually a man will tell you his bad intentions if you just listen. That certainly was a cheap shot, launching, clotheslining to the neck-head area," Harbaugh said. "Bad play."
While Matthews was flagged for a late hit, Staley received an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty that Harbaugh didn’t think was right.
Staley immediately came to Kaepernick’s defense on the play. The penalties were offset and the 49ers scored on the next play, which officials later said should have been fourth down rather than a repeated third down.
The NFL said Monday that a review showed Staley should not have been penalized.
"After reviewing the play, Vice President of Officiating Dean Blandino determined that Joe Staley should not have been penalized," spokesman Randall Liu said in an email. "It should have been first-and-goal for the 49ers from the Green Bay 3-yard line."
"That’s what I saw," Harbaugh said.
Harbaugh praised referee Bill Leavy and his crew, and said San Francisco would have gone for it on fourth down anyway.
"First of all, it never should have been offsetting penalties, in my opinion," Harbaugh said. "All in all, there’s a lot of things going on in that stretch. The other one was the entire Packers bench cleared, practice squad players, coaches. Members of the Green Bay Packers are all out of their bench area down along the goal line. There was no repercussion for that as well." (Photo: Hector Amezcua, Associated Press)
- surfthereef likes this
- bullzbaby23 likes this
- simplyviruz likes this
- igot-jokes reblogged this from kickoffcoverage
- desai8 likes this
- califaschic likes this
- trupowerfitness reblogged this from kickoffcoverage
- fleurytimothee likes this
- biggdrexx86xx reblogged this from kickoffcoverage
- biggdrexx86xx likes this
- aniggagotgold reblogged this from kickoffcoverage
- johnica21 reblogged this from kickoffcoverage
- johnica21 likes this
- fcrua reblogged this from kickoffcoverage
- fcrua likes this
- wtfistim3 reblogged this from kickoffcoverage
- apric1 likes this
- alienhunter95 likes this
- bellamkelley likes this
- marv2plzu reblogged this from deafforever83 and added:
- deafforever83 reblogged this from kickoffcoverage
- sybil76 reblogged this from kickoffcoverage
- sybil76 likes this
- jakejc likes this
- cee7ow reblogged this from kae-9er-nicking
- cee7ow likes this
- al24cody likes this
- 2knowu likes this
- justinancheta likes this
- heyyy-cruel-world reblogged this from kae-9er-nicking
- kae-9er-nicking reblogged this from kickoffcoverage
- jonjonbrown likes this
- sueandhammy likes this
- jpdroid24 likes this
- breakininstealinlove reblogged this from kickoffcoverage
- diamondant likes this
- eastwickg reblogged this from kickoffcoverage
- whatinthephil reblogged this from kickoffcoverage
- baldchestnut likes this
- baldchestnut reblogged this from kickoffcoverage and added:
- artbob04 likes this
- kickoffcoverage posted this