JAMES HARRISON ANNOUNCES HIS RETIREMENT FROM THE NFL
Five-time Pro Bowl linebacker James Harrison has decided to officially retire from the NFL. He made that announcement on his Facebook page.
Harrison met with the Cardinals last week and was scheduled to take a physical with the team on Friday.
"I have made a difficult decision to retire as of today," Harrison wrote. "My love for family and the need to be there for them outweighs my desire to play the game."
Harrison was an undrafted free agent out of Kent State, but was signed by the Steelers in 2002. He spent two years on their practice squad, and was released three times during that span. He was signed by the Ravens in late 2003 and played in NFL Europe. Baltimore eventually released him and he returned to Pittsburgh prior to the 2004 season. He earned his first NFL start during the ‘04 season, but didn’t become a full-time starter until 2007.
Harrison won Defensive Player of the Year in 2008, and had what is considered one of best plays in Super Bowl history: a 100-yard pick-six against the Cardinals in February 2009.
Harrison was released by the Steelers after the 2013 season, and he signed with the Bengals. After a poor season in Cincinnati – where he only managed to produce two sacks in 15 games – the Bengals released him this offseason.
Harrison ends his 11-year career with 472 tackles, 66 sacks, six interceptions and 22 forced fumbles. (Photo: Getty Images)
- counting-on-a-faded-dream reblogged this from kickoffcoverage
- phillip-isayev likes this
- xenochristian reblogged this from kickoffcoverage and added:
- my-sportsblog reblogged this from nflfanpoint
- knightriderradio reblogged this from kickoffcoverage
- ensaneman likes this
- nflfanpoint reblogged this from kickoffcoverage
- ivannya likes this
- jeffzfit likes this
- the-stxrs-dxnce likes this
- success-is-the-best-revenge10 likes this
- livefastdieross likes this
- plaidshirt reblogged this from kickoffcoverage
- kidbuudha reblogged this from kickoffcoverage
- hugmebayley reblogged this from kickoffcoverage
- kickoffcoverage posted this